Thursday, January 13, 2011

1-11-11


Dear Family,

The work is going forth. Elder Isaksen and I had a great time this last week. He speaks very well for his second language. He is a classical Pianist and very talented. He has perfect pitch. Elder Isaksen has 6 kids in his family. His brothers have served missions and he is the second to youngest in his family. I have attached a picture. He is very funny. He reminds me of Elder Mason Bennett.

Well for the work this week, we had an appointment with a less-active sister, her name is Kerry. She joined the church a few years ago but in the last 4-5 months she has not gone to church at all. We followed up on her scripture reading that we had invited her to do at our last appointment. She had read and had learned so many things that she did not know before. An example would be that she thought that the book of Mormon came on a gold plate, one gold tablet not a whole book. She was very excited and showed us all the things she had marked and learned. I learned the importance of following up on commitments. We taught Kerry about prayer and committed her to pray daily. Elder Isaksen was great because he changed his scripture to something that fit better with Kerry’s needs. It was a great lesson. We told her that Heavenly Father loved her and wanted to hear from her. She committed to pray and continue to read. She was very grateful that we had come over and after the lesson, she gave one of the most heart felt prayers I have ever heard.

We taught the Bute family for the first time. They have been less-active for about a year. We taught them the importance of scripture study. With more zeal then I expected they agreed to read from the scriptures every day till our next appointment.

We had a miracle tracting. It was 8 pm and very dark. Our appointment had fallen threw and Elder Isaksen suggested we go tracting. I was hesitant to tract so late but with a determination to let him learn just how angry people get late night we went right ahead and knocked a bunch of doors. That street had some of the nicest people I have ever met. We had two people set up an appointment with us to hear the restoration. I have been humbled.

Elder Isaksen’s first real lesson with an investigation we had a lesson to transition Hazel to the YSA ward. We had her elders and us teaching her. She committed to be baptized on the 29th. Told us she had been thinking about it since the baptism. She told us that she believes the Book of Mormon is true. It was cool.

We also taught a sister who has been a member for 8 years. Patricia has been less-active for who knows how long. We knocked on her door several weeks ago. She started getting teary eyed when she was speaking with us. She said that whenever she needed some help someone always shows up. We set up a return appointment and left rather quickly. We came back at the appointed time and the husband told us that she was asleep but that she really wanted to talk with us. We dropped by this last week and set up another appointment. At the appointment, we taught her about reading the scripture and she agreed to read daily. She has a lot of family problems right now and is feeling a lot of stress with it. We started talking about the blessing they do have and enjoy right now. Patricia told us that after we had met the very first day she started crying after we had left. She committed to come to church on Sunday.

Family it was a great week thanks for your prayers. I am sorry to hear About Aunt Nancy. I hope she gets better soon. Yeah for dad and work!

I love you have a great week,

Elder Durfee

No comments:

Post a Comment